Masters degree a faster way to move up in management? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil198

Chemical
Apr 18, 2007
US
Hi guys,

I currently have a bachelors degree in chemical engineering. Where I'm working, I notice that a lot of people have masters degrees and some even Phd's. These are the ones that seem to be in the top positions of the company, like director or managers. Granted, there are some with bachelors degrees as well in those positions.

But I am wondering, is it common with someone with a graduate degree to move up faster in the company in a management position? If you have a Bsc., do you eventually hit a ceiling and can't really move any further ahead for example to a position of VP of Project Development (just throwing it out there for arguments sake). Or is project manager or something along those lines the highest you can really realistically progress in a big organization?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What does a masters in engineering have to do with management? Get an MBA or a PM degree instead, it also means that if engineering doesnt pay enough you can find another industry that does.

Bruno and others:

I moved to Chicago for my first job, and thats how I originally found out about UWPlattville. A lot of the Civil grads I worked with came from there. Now that I am considering getting a grad degree in structural/geotechnical, I saw their program, and am very happy with the curriculum. It looks very practical.

I now live in Pennsylvania, and am pretty sure not as many people know/have heard of the program. I showed it to my boss and he loved the descriptions of the classes offered. What do you think the impact of going to the school online would be if I continue to live outside the midwest? If I am able to talk with confidence about the degree/classes taken/experiences, with full positive thoughts, and talk about how much I learned and am proficient in (assuming I like the classes/school) why should I feel like I need to go to a "name" school to impress someone? As was said in another post, I believe you "get in" what you "put out". Maybe its different with MS engineering degrees?

Do you think in the future, online degrees will be more common and people will care more about what you learned/retained rather than what "name" school you bought your piece of paper from?

"Do you think in the future, online degrees will be more common and people will care more about what you learned/retained rather than what "name" school you bought your piece of paper from? "

Yes to the first half of that question, no to the second half. I am sure that online degrees will become more and more common and accepted with time. I am also certain people will never stop caring about the "name" of the school.

That said, finding the right program, one that will make you a better engineer, is certainly the most important criterion. It's the skills you gain, much more then the name of the univeristy, that will gain you promotions/raises/new jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back