Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masticated Rubber Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlj

Materials
Sep 13, 2007
US
Is anyone else having issues with the masticated rubber shortage? If so, what are your steps forward and alternative materials that you are using? We have been researching a few options, enduraprene and tigerthane, but both have their plusses and minuses.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess I didn't pose my question correctly - the supply chain shortage of masticated rubber is causing us some headache right now and we are looking for an alternative material to use over Masticated Rubber. I was curious if anybody else was running into the same supply chain issue.

Thanks!

The issues spans across several of our parts. Many of the prints just state "Masticated Rubber" but the product shortage is on the Natural Rubber. Our supply base has told us that due to the environmental reasons there simply aren't as many natural rubber sources and they continue to be hand to mouth on suppling us. I want to see if other people are using a specific synthetic rubber for applications like mud flaps and such rather than trying to start from stratch and determine that myself. I'm still waiting for the complete list, but items include mud-flaps, air flow stopping flaps, etc.

There is no 1 to 1 replacement for NR. Unless you have very high demands in volume or type, NR is still readily available. Prices change daily.

Mud flaps: I think mostly SBR is used.
IR and SBR can replace NR in some applications. Reclaim rubber has it's uses too.

For mud flaps - there really is nothing to worry about with this application. Compounds have to be very cheap and cheerful especially for the replacement market so, use any old off-spec uncured NR or SBR-based compounds you can buy. Mix in 5phr N550 carbon black just to make the compound dark grey or black.

Thanks all!! I have to prove "as-good-as-or-better" to my customer...even for a non-critical part like a mudflap. I'll get on pulling up those listed above. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back