Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mat Foundation Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr567

Structural
Aug 21, 2009
I am working on a project that requires a design of mat foundation system. I intend to use #8 top and bottom bars and 48" thick mat. This is my first project that needs a mat foundation. I am looking for some typical mat foundation details (PDF details would do). Any help is appreciated.

Every Problem is an Opportunity for Engineers!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you're not kidding. I'm a little suspicious because you throw out reinforcing and thicknesses without describing at all what you're trying to design a foundation for.
I'd say that if this is for a house, it's a little conservative. But if it's for the power block of a nuclear poser plant, it might be a little light.
To naswer your question, any foundation book will have examples of mat foundations. Pdfs of foundations are not going to help, unless it's that same size and weight structure. Isn't there anyone down the hall you can ask for help?

Yes, I am not kidding. I know people in the office who have designed mat foundation, but they do not have typical details I am looking for. As I said, I just want to see some typical details. I will definitely design reinforcing bars, thickness, etc. FYI, this is a multi-family building with underground parking garage. The plan dimensions are about 350' by 250', if it helps.

slickdeals,
Thanks for the article. This is helpful.

It may not make sense to say that we have engineers who have designed it, but they do not have drawings/details. Do not you think I asked them the details???????? It is really stupid not to ask them, and ask here in eng-tips. Yes, they had designed it with their previous companies, but not in this office, and THEY DO NOT HAVE DRAWINGS AND DETAILS.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back