Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Matching mesh between surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa2407

Aerospace
Nov 14, 2017
GB
Hi, I have a question about meshing surfaces. If I wanted to edit the mesh on the far RH surface in attached picture so that it matches BOTH of the meshes on the adjacent surfaces (which both have different element sizes), is there an easy way to do this? The only way I have found to do this kind of thing is by using the 'mesh - mesh control - custom size along curve' command but this can be quite tedious if you have lots of different meshes to match. Is there a command in the meshing toolbox that allows you to do this more easily? Thanks :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply, however im not sure if this will work for what I want to do as it specifies that:

Read carfully the concerned help section though, §5.1.2.15 in the Commands section. Most notable points are:

- surfaces on different solids must be closely aligned

- surfaces to link must have the same mesh sizing

- this is intended for hex-meshable geometry, so there might be cases where this fails.

My surfaces have different mesh sizing....

Lisa

Could you attach the image? I did not see it attached in the original post.

Hello Lisa2407
You can use the 'match curve' command in the mesh toolbox. This will allow you to dynamically update the curve on one surface to match another surface. This way you will select the curve with the mesh size you want and then select the curve you want matched and it will update automatically. See link below.It's still not super fast, but at least you don't have to be going in and out of menus.

Alternatively you can set a default mesh size and it should set the mesh size on those curves the same because they are the same length. Then you can mesh the surfaces in the same mesh command and it should match the mesh and make the nodes concident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back