Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mate between cilinders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dompie

Industrial
Aug 28, 2002
BE
hi,

I need to mate different wheels in an assembly on the cilindrical edge but in an way that when i turn one of them, the rest folows with the right speed. is this possible and how do i do it?
thanks in advance,

Dompie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IF:
the wheels are CONCENTRIC
you want them to have the same rpm
you want them rotating in the same direction

THEN:
MATE the PLANES of the wheels either PARALLEL or COINCIDENT

ELSE:
you're SOL - at least with 2001+ and nothing else
Some of the add-on packages might help you.
I haven't played with them yet...

If I'm wrong - somebody will point it out [peace] "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone." Hee Haw

hello dompie,
what I would try:
make a relation between the rotation speeds in this way:
Create angular dimensions in the assembly between a plane in the assembly and a plane in the part(Do this for both parts, one clockwise, the other counterclockwise). When you have done this, you can relate both dimensions by adding a equotation between these dimensions (it's simple: you just divide the two perimeters of the wheels by eachother, this is the factor you use in the equatation: This factor (C) times the angle of pt 1 = angle of pt2.)

(I guess you allready know this but I will tell you anyway: first you will have to make the two wheels touch eachother:
make the two cilindrical faces parallel, than make the same faces tangent. After this you can add all the mates that you want.)

This is the way I would do this, perhaps there are better ways, but I think this will solve your problem,
Aart

I think I will have to add some extra comments to my thread:
The way to relate the rotation-speeds that I suggested is very static. You can define extra static situations for example by creating a design-table, or by creating configurations yourself.
To make a smooth movement between these configurations, I think you will need SW Animator. (I'm thinking about a way to do this without SW Animator, but I'm sorry, I can't think of something right now, maybe later)
Aart

aart2:

I like your idea and I'm "playing" with it now.
I'm thinking I could record a MACRO that would add, say 10 deg, to my "driving" angle each time I run it.
Then I could click-simulate animation - at least thru one revolution.
I could probably dink around with the MACRO code and accomodate endless revolutions - I suspect.
I'm new to the programming, but I may have to try it later.

Anyway, nice solution - Kudos to aart2.
You da man! [2thumbsup] "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone." Hee Haw

Friends, I have an update...

If I use my larger wheel as my "driver", then I can go thru 360 deg with it, making the smaller wheel rotate past 360 no problem. Apparently I can't enter 360+ in the ANGLE MATE dialog box, but the EQUATION can.

Also, I found that the two wheels don't have to be TANGENT - I missed that the first time around.

I couldn't get a MACRO to work - I'm still too ignorant.
But, I did make 36 CONFIGURATIONS of 10 degree increments, and I can click thru them fast enough to imagine actual animated rotation!

Let me know if you want to see this - I'll e-mail you the assembly.
Have a great weekend ya'll - I'll be at the beer tent if you need be.
[cheers]-> These things are too cool - I should probably get out more.

"Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone." Hee Haw

hello,

i've tried the solution with the 10deg increments and it seems to work, i'm still looking for a more simple idea since not everyone here knows how to use the equations.

thanks to everyone and if someone comes up with something else....... ;-)

Dompie

Thank you for the compliment Tatej,
I am very interested in the assembly you've build,
please send it to me: a.schmid@elton.nl
thank you very much,
Aart

dear dompie (are you dutch by any chance?), it's very simple to use an equotation:
first you dimension the angles between the planes you want to use in the equotation. Decide which one you want to be the driving dimension and which one you want to be driven.
In the assembly, you select in the menu-bar "tools", move down to "equotation", than click on the "add"-button in the dialogue box.
Now you click on the driven dimension in the graphics display area. (Ofcourse you have to switch on the annotations display in order to seen the dimensions). Now you equal this dimension to factor C(see my previous answer) times the driving dimension (again, just click on the dimension, and it will appear in your equotation.)
It's easy, just try it,
good luck,
Aart

Hi Aart,

thanks for the tips, i'm only using SW for about 2 months so it's still rusty. i tried it with the equation and it works but i think i'm gonna take step of 2 deg to make it a little smoother. (very slow pc's you see)

Dompie

ps: you're close, i'm not dutch maar belgisch ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back