Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mate using planes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

janandk

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2005
US
I am a UG user and new to solidworks. I am trying to mate components in an assembly. When I bring my components in, all SW does is bring in the solid model. How can I bring in planes(datums) from the part into an assembly. Is there something similar to "reference sets" in UG. Then, can I mate the planes from the component to planes in the assembly file. If so, how? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

janandk,
You will save yourself a lot of time and aggravation if you go through the tutorial. It is well worth the time, no matter how busy you are.

Bradley

All the planes are already present in the component that you add to the assembly (and you do not need reference sets like in UG).

To access these plane when you are mating, look at the pull down component list just beside the property panel. There you will see a "+" sign. Click on that and the entire tree will expand, then click "+" beside the component you want to mate and you will expand that showing you all the planes that are present in that component. And you can use those to mate.

Allan Chun, CSWP

What do you mean by "When I bring my components in"?
When opening or inserting a native SW file or by opening a non-native format file?

If the latter, you may have to run the Feature Recognition module (if you have it) to be able to see the planes.

Once you have the planes, mating can be achieved by simply clicking on them & activating the Mate icon (the paperclip).

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back