Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material callouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DReimer

Mechanical
May 20, 2005
I'd like to survey the participants in this forum regarding material callouts on part drawings. I'm especially interested in companies that design and fabricate their own parts (rather than design only).

Our company uses an MRP system, and as such every raw material we use has a part number. Our raw material part numbers are significant - e.g. ALF3/8X2 is, you guessed it, aluminum flat bar 3/8" thick by 2" wide.

Our tradition has been to call out the actual RM part number and quantity on the title block. If, for example, we design a part from aluminum and it is 3/8" thick and 2" wide and 7" long, then we would call out ALF3/8X2 (x7.00) in the title block (provided the standard mill tolerance on the material was acceptable for the application).

This aggravates me for several reasons:
- we've got a duplicate bill of material for every part: the MRP bill of material and the drawing bill. This is a significant source of error when you try to maintain parallel BOMs. Inevitably one gets changed without the other, and problems usually follow.

- it adds burden in engineering, because we are responsible for both BOMs. For example, if the planning department finds that we use a lot of 1/4" aluminum plate in certain widths they ask us to create a P/N for plate sheared to width and change the affected BOMs. With both MRP and drawings to change, this is a fair amount of (non value-added) work.

- we've been doing this long enough (on MRP for at least 12 years) that our material cutters aren't even taught how to read the drawing. As a result, if the title block says cut it 7" long, they'll cut it 7" long without regard for the length tolerance or machining allowance. We get an astounding number of requests to change the title block to tell the cutter to cut the part 1/16" too long so the machinist has some material to remove.

- while the RM part numbers may be obvious internally, it can cause problems with outside vendors. An example just came up today. We wanted a bronze-tinted polycarbonate plate with some holes in it, but the part we got was clear. The only material callout was: LEPBRZ1/4. Well I know that is our designation for bronze-tint polycarbonate, and the engineer that designed the part knows it, but obviously it wasn't clear to the vendor. That's a $150 mistake that directly affects our bottom line.

What I'd like to do is call out the material spec on the drawing (e.g. 6061-T6 Aluminum, C1018, Type 304 SS, Bronze-tinted polycarbonate) and let the planning department (or vendor) take ownership of the bill of material. If they're short of flat bar and want to substitute plate, it is their call as long as it meets our material spec.

What does your company do?

Cheers,
Dean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is why I mentioned I was in tool engineering.
All we have is strucual metals and the designed components get an apporoval sign off by tool engineering.
Non designed tools are form fit and function.

I understand flight components need specs from ore to part.

My point was that some designs allow more latitude in metal choice than others and that latitude is given to the component builder.

Cheers

And not everyone can machine beryllium, because of its hazardous properties. Big difference between beryllium copper and copper.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks Pro 06/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Kwan adds a good point that we have overlooked thus far, grain direction. In aerospace, the grain direction is very important to achieve the desired analyzed properties of the part. Every ounce counts and the wrong grain direction = weaker part.

The best way to identify common raw materials is by industry standards e.g. NASM, ASTM, UNS, AMS, etc. Since it's a tall order to have all of these specs on hand it's good to own a mill catalog e.g. RYERSON for metals. OR it's good to have the ASM handbook which lists them all.

To start assigning in-house part nos to these materials is redundant and a wast of time in my opinion. Of course if the cost of the raw material is significant when compared to the cost of the finished product, then I suppose you have to put SOMETHING on the BOM!

Whenever you use an as-delivered (from-the-mill) dimension always call it out with the word STOCK ala ".250 STOCK THICK ALUMINUM ALLOY 6061-T6...". This practice applies to all as-delivered dimensions produced to industry standards. Otherwise your title sheet block tolerance applies and a "retentive" manufacturer try to make the part comply. Of course he could just pick up the phone...

Tunalover

Tunalover: if we don't assign a part number to raw material, our MRP system can't plan for us to have sufficient quantity on hand to meet our production requirements. Certainly it would be redundant if we were a design-only operation, but as a manufacturer we do need that information.

Regarding your suggestion to use "Stock" in the description of raw materials -- that is a good idea. Thanks.

Dean

DReimer-

One trap that we all fall into from time to time is when we let the limitations of a tool (e.g. an MRP system) shape how we do business. I've seen some pretty crappy processes crop up due to weaknesses in infrastructure and the business tools that make it up.

If you start assigning internal part numbers to raw materials how are your suppliers going to deal with it? Will it cause confusion and many phone calls? Are your suppliers devoted enough to keep an up-to-date cross-reference?

Lastly, where is the cutoff point where a bulk material does not need an internal part number? Do silkscreen inks, paints, epoxy inks (for part number marking), adhesives, primers, cleaning agents (soap and water, alcohol,...), cleaning implements (e.g. paper towels), and so on need part nos?

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back