Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirRider04

Automotive
Sep 7, 2004
CA
Good Day

We currently use 1026 ASTM A513-00 Type 5, 6.25" OD x 3/8" wall DOM Round Tube, Normalized with following specs.

Yield = 48,330 ksi
Ultimate = 71,070 ksi
% Elong in 2" = 33.9
HRB = 75-76

Our supplier is out of stock on this material & wants to substitute material with the following specs.

Material was normalized, but then was heat treated again (unkown process)
Yield = 78,000 ksi
Ultimate = 92,000 ksi
% Elong in 2" = 25
HRB = 92

For our process I'm concerned about the impact of the elevated hardness.

Any Thoughts! Thanks

Neil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Neil,
If only the impact properties bother you, what about testing both materials and comparing?
Is there a minimum temperature during usage?
Fatigue is not an issue?
I would be concerned by the unknown reheat treatment: was it uniform? no overheat? I think it maybe risky.
Is it feasible and economic to perform a third treatment under a controlled process?
Good luck.

Application
A rubber bushing gets press-fit into the tube (Tube is 6.5" length). The bushing sees a lot of twisting forces.

With this material, we're concerned with the material being to brittle & cracking.

Should have have said "influence" instead of "impact" - not worried about impact qualities.

This steel will not be brittle or susceptible to brittle fracture. Whether or not it can meet the application requirements is still not clear. EdStainless asked some very good, pertinent questions. I would lean toward saying the higher strength won't be a problem, but there are still a lot of unknowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back