Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Compatability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wchowe

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2002
US
Seems like this should be in all the tubing catalogs, but I can't find it. I am looking for a material compatability table for Polyurethane and Polyethylene tubing vs Ozone and/or Propylene Glycol. Does anyone have a good source or web link?

Thanks
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This table has chemical resistance for many polymers. As Pat said, when you need detailed information for a certain polymer, you'll need to contact the manufacturer or check their website.

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

The MAT WEB site was of no help. I don't know the exact compounds that are being used to make the tubing. It lists typical properties but not compatabilites? Unless I missed it.
I could call the manufacturer ( Parker), I tried their website, but didn't find anything on compatability.

Thanks
Bill

I still don't have a direction. Polyethylene and Polyurethane tubing both have similar compatibilites to Propolene Glycol, depending on which website you go to. Some sites rate them equal, others rate PE better than PU. I believe Polyethylene to be the more compatable choice?

Thanks
Bill

There are several types of PU which have quite different chemical resistance properties. Polyester and polyether types spring to mind, but there are significant variations within each type and I think also some other types.

Bayer, BASF, Merquinsa, Dow and Noveon are major suppliers and should cover most types between them

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back