Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material for a sulfatreat vessel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgiani84

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2007
AR
Hi, I´m looking for a material to build a sulfatreat vessel. I know that the most suitable is a metalic one but now I have to design it with a plastic material. Do you know what kind of material can I use? There are some cover paints but I don´t know if it works..

Thanks for your atention

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience with sulfatreat vessels has been with coated carbon steel. This system was designed to treat (sometimes) hot compressed landfill gas

If your gas stream is below ~ 200F and your volume is small, a plastic vessel may work. If the temperature is higher than about 200F, you may require a metallic vessel for shell strength.

As your sulfatreat media volume gets larger, the plastic/FRP vessel will become more expensive. Additionally, no plastic/FRP vessel can sustain significant vacuum conditions.

There are coatings that are available and have been specifically developed for H2S service.

Also, you must consider the propper aspect ratio (height to diameter) of the media bed as well as the filling/replcement requirements of the media.

Tell us more about the specifics of your application.

Regards

-MJC
please tell us more

Thanks, MJ.

Attached is the vessel datasheet that could be installed, what is your opinion about that?

What do you think about the mechanical properties of FRP for this application? I ask you about this because of the sulfatreat loads.

The datasheet is in Spanish, I can translate it if you need it in English.

Thanks for your attention,
Regards

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2ed7ae24-07d1-4ea1-9162-284447878e15&file=1757-07-2-TKCVCTFP-HT_1.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back