Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material help !!!! High hardness - non ferous material???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkoko

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2007
CA
I am looking for a material to try and suit all of my customers specs. They would like to see something non-ferrous which can be hardened to Rc-60. I don't think anything like this exists (and is readily available) so I am trying to come up with the next best thing. Any ideas? I thought about 440c stainless but it's magnetic, or AMPC0-25 gets me Rc40 ish I think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmm I hadn't thought of that but I don't think it will work in my case. The parts I need to make are going in some weld tooling. Can you machine ceramics the same was you can a metal? (I'm not sure if that a dumb question or not)

Anodizing on aluminium alloys can approach that hardness level.

A better bet would be a titanium alloy that has the surface hardened (e.g. nitrogen diffusion hardening, diamond-like coating, etc.).

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Do you have the option of hard chrome plating? If you do, you could plate the Ampco 25. Hard chrome is well in excess of Rc 60.

If you need bulk harness look at Brush Wellman. My favorite is Be-Ni, but there are a bunch of age hardening Cu bassed alloys that will get you close.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Still trying to help you stop corrosion.
formerly Trent Tube, now Plymouth Tube
eblessman@plymouth.com
or edstainless@earthlink.net

Thanks for all your responses! I'm going to see if my customer will budge on any of there specs so I can use a more basic material. I only need the high hardness in weld tooling because my customer requires it. It has to be non ferrous so it will not affect the weld schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back