Material library help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

williwang

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2008
AU
Hi, friends,

I have been working on FEA for a while. I've found material properties the hardest thing to set up.

Could anyone like to suggest an advanced material library?

For example: equation of state, material failure, etc.

Thank you......

Forever Young.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Abaqusmaster, Thanks for your attention.

A plugin will be great. A databass is also good.

Just wanted to set up correct material properties. I've found it hard.

Thanks.

Forever Young.....

or, maybe I should ask how to get material property right.

How do you use test data to set up your material?
How do you plan the test?
Do I have to test real material every time?
Do you believe the results in material property point of view?

Forever Young.....

So ... a few questions:
- what materials are you modeling?
- do you need elastic (stress-strain) properties, or strength properties?
- what type of material models: linear, plastic, viscoelastic, ??

williwang: I have an idea. we can work on a plugin to simplify material defining, reads its data from a database, it may be an engine only. and the data can be filled out by someone else (companies, laboratories..), it is a good job but time consuming.

SWComposites: every material properties that ABAQUS supports.

Regards,

Mohammad Shahbazi

Using mainly carbon steel, I run a macro which I have previously defined the temperature dependent properties. It saves a few minutes setting up the data and ensures I won't make a mistake entering the data. Any other materials I'll set up a macro, just in case I need that particular material again. As with the poster though, it does take a bit of time to find references for that material.

To say that you define every material that Abaqus supports is incorrect as Abaqus is a general purpose program and hence could support an infinite number of materials.

corus

Thanks very much.

The point I want to make is that what data we should use. I did a water simulation using EOS (equation of state), material data was from internet (papers, articles, etc). But the result wasn't good. Water itself shrink a great deal after I apply gravity on it. It is just wrong.

It is often hard to judge the quality of the material data. And it is hard to know what material property should use too.

Forever Young.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back