Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material model for plain weave in ABAQUS

Materials Freak

Aerospace
Oct 28, 2024
Hello ABAQUS users,
I am trying to simulate the impact and bending behaviour of composites made from 200 gsm plain weave glass fabric.
I have homogenized properties of 200 gsm plain weave fabric. I am unsure if I can use Hashin criteria for modelling the damage or not since I have not delved deep into it so far.
Some blogs suggests using LaRC05 criteria due to its capability to capture warp and weft but since I have homogenized properties, can I use Hashin criteria?
Also, can someone please let me know if someone has found out cohesive zone properties experimentally? I am doing Mode-I and Mode-II test but just wanted a feedback on finding out those properties.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hashin should be good. It’s commonly used when modeling laminates by specifying orthotropic material properties (and orientations) for each layer. Have a look at the examples in the documentation and check what inputs are required for those damage models.

Are you going to model the impact event? and want to attempt to predict the damage?

To predict damage you need a material degradation model; Hashin criteria can only (maybe) predict the onset of damage, not the propagation of damage. Predicting damage propagation in a dynamic event is very hard; its at the level of research now, not a standard analysis method.

There are many papers on composite damage modelling, cohesive element modelling, determination of cohesive element properties. The best summary reference is Composite Materials Handbook, CMH-17 Volume 3, Rev H (but Rev H isn't published yet; but if you are an attendee - and there is a meeting next month - you can get access to the draft version).

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back