Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

material model in WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

engn555

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2006
CA
Hi, can anyone please tell me how to input material test data into a Workbench simulation?
I ultimately need to do this for a real job, but am using this U of A tutorial to get me started.

I can get the simulation to run no problem in ANSYS Classic, but I cannot figure out how to do it in Workbench.
In Classic, the material data is defined via:
Preprocessor > Material Props > Material Models > Structural > Nonlinear > Elastic > Multilinear Elastic

However, when I go to Engineering Data in WB, I can't find that option. I have tried entering the data as Uniaxial Test Data, and as Multilinear Isotropic Hardening, but neither seem to have an effect on the final solution. The displacements are always calculated as being linear functions of the elastic modulus only, regardless of whether the applied load is high enough to push them into the plastic range or not.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi engn555,

You definitely can do it in ANSYS WB. If you are using ANSYS V 11, you should go to Engineering Data, click Add/Remove Properties and then add the Multilinear Isotropic hardening plasticity model. When you click in the graphic, you are able to fill in your data. After you have finished, you should go back to your model and make sure the part you are working has this material assigned to it.

If you still think ANSYS is not considering it, make sure that the load you are using is enough to make the material undergo plastic deformation.

See the attached file.

Best Regards,
Steve

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=10fe57dc-925d-43d9-af15-fbdee4a841d7&file=Doc1.doc
Steve:
I am using ANSYS v10, but the process you describe is exactly what I've done, right down to changing the material reference in the tree under the Geometry heading. However, I noticed in your attached document, you have 2 GradeR4 materials, GradeR4 and GradeR4 Improved. In the tree it shows the material as GradeR4, but in the Engn Data window it appears that GradeR4 Imp is the one with the table of stresses and strains. Do I actually need a seperate file (ie. the GradeR4 Improved one) to hold the table data, in addtition to a basic file (ie. the GradeR4 one)?

Hi engn555,

Both materials are with table of stress and strain. You just can't see it.

No, you don't need a separete file to hold the table data. You can have as many materials as you want. If the material you are using has a plasticity model assigned to it (table data), it will be used in the analysis.

If it is no problem for you, send me an example by email:steveflm@yahoo.com.br then I can take a more careful look at it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back