Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZANX

Aerospace
Nov 30, 2016
ZA

Pleas advice if its ok to cut a 150mm plate (along the rolling direction) in half in order to machine two components out of it. Besides the warping experienced during the cutting process. Are there any metallurgical variation throughout the thickness of the billet. Is this an acceptable practice? is there a standard/procedure giving guidelines on how to cut aluminium or use aluminium plates.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I many alloys the properties are a function of thickness and rolling direction.
For this reason cutting 'bar' from plate is prohibited.
For example in your case what if the min strength for the full plate thickness is lower that the spec for thinner plate?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thanks Edstainless and Metengr

The material is 7050 T7451 (50mm X 145mm X 1655mm). The billet is cut into 2x 22mm X 145mm X 1655mm to manufacture two components. I'm worried about the quality of these two components, besides the heat generated during the cutting operation, which could result in residual stresses that have been eliminated through control stretching process
what other metallurgical effect could this practice have on the final part?

Zanx;
Slitting the billet to form two thinner billet sections should not result in any metallurgical issues. This aluminum is a heat treatable grade and I would consider re-heat treatment of each cut section from the original billet to ensure through thickness properties, and removal of residual stress from slitting.

You don't mention what final product form will be supplied. I have attached a product brochure that contains mechanical properties for 7050 T7451 plate up to 6 " thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back