Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Santoprene

Status
Not open for further replies.

aileenm

Industrial
Sep 26, 2003
CA
Hi
I’m hoping someone can help me. I am interested in using Santoprene for insert molding, for the manufacture of trailer wiring kits/automotive-wiring harnesses.
Does it have any special molding requirements that I should be aware of?
Also can I use this Santoprene on conventional thermoplastic insert molding machines?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes and yes, as I guess the insert moulding machine is a typo for injection moulding machine.

All materials have their unique characteristics, which require consideration in moulding

Vulcanised EPDM modified Polypropylene (most common trade name Santoprene) is like most elastomers, quite variable in mould shrinkage, depending somewhat on injection pressure, and is prone to stick to the mould if the mould surface is smooth.

Regards
pat

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

aileenm,

There are many tips that I could give you in the art of properly molding Santoprene. But without knowing the anything about your component except that it has an insert, does not help much.

My words of advice are that you should prototype your component, prior to building a multiple cavity tool. Even with all of my experience with Santoprene. I was still sometimes surprised with the results of the finished part. Shrinkage is usually not consistant across the part.

The other item that your tool maker should take into account is the placement of the gate. It should be designed so that it will shear the material as it is entering the cavity. Plus the cavity should be filled "fast" without much holding time. The finished part will have a certain smell to it. Those with experience know when the material has been molded properly by the smell of the finished part.

I am sure that the rtechnical people of AES will be ready and willing to help with technical info like this. Why nor contact them?

Not too long ago, I was answering questions from Advanced Elastomer tech people. I have personaly prototyped over 200 components using Santoprene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back