Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material selection for flue gas cold stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpedde01

Materials
Feb 13, 2008
US
I am looking for material selection for flue gas cold stack for petroleum coke calcining plant. We use Mg(OH)2 slurry to reduce sulfur. The process conditions are as follows:

H2SO4 emissions 20 ppmvd upto 30 ppmvd.

O2 - 11.92%

chlorides - 350-500ppm coming from HCl from flue gas

- Flue gas contains magnesium-based particulate with particle sizes ranging from about 2 to 20µ.

Stack Height - 185ft

Bottom diameter - 7ft

stack temperature - 500F.

Dewpoint temperature of Sulfuric acid is 300-320 deg F.

It would be appreciated if someone could help me with the material selection.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kpedde01 (Materials):

You should check following :
1)ASME STS-1-2006 "Steel stacks" (I think 2006 is the latest.)Minimum plate thickness shall be the calculated design thickness resulting from stress,deflection and ovaling plus corrosion allowance. Total corrosion allowance is the sum of the internal and external corrosion allowances.

2)NACE RP 0292-2003 "Installation of thin metallic wallpaper linning in air pollution control and other process equipment". If you're a Nace member, you can download it for free.

Hope this helps,

Corgas

kpedde01 (Materials):

Additionally check :

"Latest advances in the understanding of acid dewpoint corrosion : Corrosion and Stress Corrosion Cracking in Combustion Gas Condensates".

Anti-Corroison Methods and Materials, Vol 51,3 (2004), pg 173-188.

Corgas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back