Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Material selection for Sliding material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Banerjee

Structural
Dec 27, 2021
IN
I am currently designing a structural bearing. The application of the component that I'm thinking must have

i) extremely low co-efficient of friction & abrasion (better than UHMWPE against steel grade 350 or Stainless Steel AISL 316)
ii)compressive strength greater than 200 MPa
iii) insulator and inert to environment and
iv) available and lower cost.

Can you guys suggest something please.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Better than UHMWPE? That would be a rocker bearing. If there was a sliding bearing material that met your requirements Google would find it on the first search.

There's PEEK and PAI (e.g. Torlon) which might do items 1-3.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

My experience is that you can have a bearing that is inexpensive, or one that works.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

You can get i-iii, but they effectively preclude low cost.
You are looking at filled composite/polymer systems to get these characteristics.
The way to control cost is to use a readily available form (no special shapes), and just have the bearing do the bearing job.
This usually means fairly thin pieces that are well supported by steel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I've not used it, but I understand that polyamide imide bearing material is incredible, but very pricey.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Static or dynamic friction ?
Required/desired service life including wear rate ?
Misalignment tolerance?
Permissable deflection based on the rest of the system's requirments ?
Will the "bearing" be protected to ensure Good cleanliness, or subject to some level of contamination either unintentional or of necessity?
What's the "PV" of your application?

Compressive "strength" both yield and ultimate may require considering Hertzian stresses.

A Banerjee,

Is this a dynamic bearing like for a shaft, or is this a structural pin connection?

I have a specification sheet here for glass filled Delrin. This material has a compressive strength of 100MPa at 10% strain, and 1MPa at 1% strain. I am guessing the 10% strain is mostly permanent.

If you need the 200MPa, you are looking at some form of bronze.

--
JHG

dik, You're correct. After injection moulding parts need a post mould heat curing cycle to cross link the stuff. Could take a week for 6mm thick sections. Ramping up/down temperature.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

I forgot to ask the length of motion required, IF this is even a linear bearing.

If only .01" then there are options not appropriate for 5" translation.

If you look closely here the end of each "trunnion" bearing support is hanging by a strip of spring steel.
Vertically stiff, but allowing a little bit of lubrication free axial motion and even some yawing alignment about a vertical axis.

Hello,

I recommend contacting Igus. They are experts in polymer bearings and have a wide variety of bearing materials to choose from. They can also custom fabricate bearings as well.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back