Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Selection for TPE/steel overmolding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbrfo

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2007
Hi, Can anyone please suggest an elastomer that will bond well to steel? and also be suitable for use in oil? (It is a steel part overmolded with an elastomer seal).

We are attempting to overmold an elastomer seal onto a small forged carbon steel part, currently we have tried Thermoplastic polyurethane with a primer, onto phosphated and un-phosphated steel.
The bond is ok, but not compatible with automotive oil (It becomes very week).

I would imagine the material used in rubber/steel bonded oil seals would be perfect, but I have yet to discover the material and processes they use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Was the TPU a polyether or polyester type? Polyester types will be very much less affected by oil than polyether types. A recent study I did showed 1-8% swell with polyester millable (solid, peroxide vulcanized) urethanes vs. 20-40% for polyether millable urethanes.

Also, a vulcanized, millable urethane might have a little better retention of properties after oil exposure than a thermoplastic urethane.

Hope this helps,
tom

You don't specify temperature, which will be a driver. Nitrile rubber might be a better choice, there are bonding primers that will achieve very high strengths when bonding to steel in a compression or transfer mold. Talk to a rubber molding shop.

They used to brass-plate the steel cords; the sulfur used for curing (crosslinking) in the rubber would corrode the zinc phase from the brass, resulting in a dendritic growth that gave very high adhesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back