Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Side on surfaces Catia V5 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrude

Automotive
Nov 4, 2003
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a material side option on surfaces (like in idea's) which allows you to put recesses into a surface in one move, triming the main surface back automatically (IE a drop the surface down locally for a screw boss by offsetting it down at diamter 30mm). Pleae forgive me this is difficult to describe!

Thanks,

Darren

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you post an image, if it's hard to describe? (for the record, it's also hard to understand)

There was recently a very helpful post regarding the posting of images.

Check out CATBlog!

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here are your images:

2.jpg

3.jpg

So if I understand correctly, you want to know if there is a function that will create the cylindriacl feature, and then automaticall trim it back to your contoured surface. Is that correct?

If that's what you mean, my short answer would be, "no." At least for me. I don't know what license you have, but I have HD2, and it's not something that I have available.

Most likely, you've already done it this way, but perhaps the most straightforward method, is to create you cylinder, and then use the "trim" function. Filling in the circle at the bottom of the cylinder is easy, so long as you don't trim it with a non-planar curve. You just use the "fill" surface.

I wish it was easier. That's a great idea for a script, though. I'd like to do some more checking, to make sure that there is not a way to do this somewhere else, and then, if not, I'll attempt to script it, and write it up on the CATBlog.

This is a really good question.

Check out CATBlog!

Hi Solid7

Thanks For your Reply. Your correct, I want to know if there is a function that will automactically trim back the cylindrical feature to the main surface.

ProE and IDEA's can do this with a function called "material side", for some parts its a good time saving feature (IE, lots of sunk fixing holes).

I'll have to do it long way round.

Thanks for another good reply and sorting out my pictures, I will try and get to grips with it when I get some spare tiem.

Darren

And I'm going to try to get you what you are looking for, because I, myself, think this to be a very valuable idea.

I can't possibly know everything about Catia, but I have not found anything like this. If it doesn't exist, and it should, then I want to see it happen.

If we can make this happen, I'll post a follow-up.

Check out CATBlog!

Hi all,

For all functions you are missing, you may create PowerCopies or a UDF (if you have the license). Then put those PowerCopies / UDF in a CATalog and call them when you need.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Hi.
You can use 'Diabolo' in GSD-Advanced Surfaces (GSO license needed I think).
With this tool you can define your bottom of the cylinder and select the base surface. It will also give you an option to apply draft.
The online docs shows a good picture.

Hi JuhaEdag,

I've looked in the Help topics for Diabolo, which is the comand I wall looking for. It's just ashame that I don't have this license!

Thanks for the information though.

Darren

I think "BIW templates" is the license for Diabolo. But you can live without it. Use a Powercopy or UDF. If its something you need regularly or fast, Powercopy it! The surface has an orientation. Use that to dictate the material side. This is a really easy solution. Don't even bother with a VB Script. Make it once, re-use it, document it for others and dump it in a catalog of your favourite features. Get into the habit. It will save you money! Ahh, M~o~n~e~y!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back