Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

crthomps

Apr 17, 2006
US
I would like to get some suggestions on a material for a container for transport. I am no materials engineer, so some input would be greatly appreciated. The material doesn't necessarily have to be a composite, it could be a metal, plastic, polymer or other. The main spec is that it has to withstand a fire penetration test of 1,700°F for 5 minutes. I am looking for a good insulator that would keep the contents cool as well. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But, the 1,700°F is only for 5 minutes. My guess is that 0.035" steel sheet over 3/8" plywood would withstand that. Think about how flimsy 1-hour firewall (plaster) & doors (steel skins over wood frame) can be in buildings.

crthomps,
Don't re-invent the wheel. Try this site, they have Air Transport Association Spec. 300, Category 1 compliant cases, etc. Making the outer sheet SS rather than aluminum to handle the heat test.

Note the interior foam specifications:
Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.- UL Subject 95-HF-1.
General Electric Specification - SS268045D.
Lockheed Aircraft Specification - LAC-22-434A, Type II.
California Fire Retardency Urethane Foam Law - 1/1/84.
FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Air Worthiness Standard.
MIL-SPEC. P-26514D, Type I, Class 1, Grade C.

There is also a Federal regulation: Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 302, aka MVSS-302. It requires a minimum flame resistance for materials used in the interior of a motor vehicle.
Try searching the Code of Federal Regulations:

Thanks for the help guys. I was just checking out the ATA 300 spec and I came along a new DOT spec that not only has this 5 minute 1700°F requirement but also a heat endurance test: the container shall be exposed to 400°F for 3 hours and the surface of the contents shall not exceed 200°F. So, not only are we looking for a flame resistant outer surface (metal or otherwise) but also some sort of insulating inner layer (fiberglass, epoxy, or something else). Any ideas on what combination of materials might work would be greatly appreciated.

Carbon/epoxy or similar on Nomex or glass honeycomb might do the job. When we test for 15 minutes under a 2000 F burner it only needs three plies of cloth at 0.01" thick per ply. The honeycomb aspect might give you enough insulation for the 400 F case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back