Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material Temper

Status
Not open for further replies.

eb.12345

Jan 26, 2021
GB
Could somebody please explain the difference between the temper T651 & T6511 and the impact this has on the material strength properties?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The question is more in regard to Al Alloy BS L111. The material data sheet only refers to T6 & T651. Does this mean that T6511 does not conform to the BS L111 spec?

The code string in a temper designation tells you material properties, but some temper designations only apply to certain raw material types (bar, sheet, rounds, extrusions, etc).

T651 is a temper designation for plate or cold finished rounds which have been solution heat treated, aged, and set.

T6511 is a temper designation for extrusions which have been solution heat treated, aged, set, and straightened.

-T6 - Solution Heat Treated and artificially aged
-T651 - Solution heat treated, stress relived by stretching and artificially aged or artificially aged from -T451 temper (2014, 6061) Applicable to plate and rolled or cold finished bar and rod.
-T6510 - Same as -T651, but applicable to extruded material
-T6511 - Same as -T6510, but minor straightening is permitted

Material strength is not changed, for exampled for 7075 AA-A-200/11 Extr for -T6/-T62/-T6510/-T6511 Ult and Yield strength stay the same (87/72 ksi)

yes, but BS111 may not have been available in T6511. what does the BS111 spec say ?

I suspect that if you've for a reference to BS111 T6511, that this is a typo and that T651 was meant (I don't think there is any practical difference).

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

A definitive discussion of aluminum alloy tempers for US system... which appears to be in-common with European [British?] temper designators...

AA/ANSI H35.1 American National Standard - Alloy and Temper Designation Systems for Aluminum
SAE AS1990 Aluminum Alloy Tempers

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

It's also defined in detail by AR-MMPDS-01 (and subsequent editions) and the precursor MIL-HDBK-5.
There's also more insight to be gained about the extrusion tempers from extrusion catalogs (if you can find an old Tiernay catalog).

Has anyone ever seen a PDF of the Tiernay extrusion catalogs, by the way? I'd love to have one to search electronically.

Please remember: we're not all rednecks!

Ng2020,
Strange things happened when I clicked your link. Some clever domain naming has tricked us both there...
There's nothing wrong with Recmar - I've done business with them in the past although for really trivial stuff (cabin curtain).

It turns out... this site has the searchable database of extrusion dimensions, and is probably the one you really mean:
That search system kind-of works... It narrows down your choices too quick, though. I would still prefer to see them organized by dimension and be able to browse dozens of higher/lower sizes to better understand the choices available.

For the European spec's, it looks like BS_EN still makes these available.
This supplier has it available. They should be able to tell you more, especially if your purchasers are in the habit of requiring material test report from every batch. If they will work with you, suppliers such as this one can give you the MTR from different tempers to compare before you commit to purchasing. I predict difference will be extremely slight.

Please remember: we're not all rednecks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back