Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Material with low friction coefficient against PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrdguez

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2010
DE
Hi there,

I've been looking for the proper subforum for a while, I finally chose this one.

We have a bunch of cables which moves back and forth around a 250 mm diameter PVC tube. We built the setup and when moving there was much vibration due to the friction between the cables and the PVC tube.

In order to avoid this I wrapped the bunch of cables with a plastic supermarket bag! This solution is kind of botch. We also put some other plastics we found around such the typical red and which strips used to limit spaces like construction areas (which wasn't as good as the supermarket bag, even we discovered the difference between the red and white parts).

We want to do something more "professional", for that I would like to ask if you know any foil material we can use with a low friction coefficient against the PVC

Thank you
Regards,
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ahá,

I didn't know the official name.

I think I will also try with trash plastic bags (the typical black) and the ones for recycling plastic (yellow ones)

Cheers,
david

There are effective ways to handle the friction.

You can buy PTFE or ultrahighmolecular weight polyethylene tape and apply that. Get it from
You can buy wire that is insulated with PTFE or other fluropolymers which will give low friction.

Another option is to add a slip additive to your PVC while extruding the pipe. As example would be ultrahighmolecular weight silicone from Wacker Genioplast S or Dow Corning (go to and look for the siloxane masterbatches). This approach is used for pipe. They add the silicone and it reduces friction which helps when you install fiber optic cables by blowing them down the pipe.

Chris DeArmitt
Plastic Training Webinars since 2003
visit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back