Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Materials Property over rides wont work... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper2009

Nuclear
Jul 17, 2007
US
Hi again all.

I have a template set up with Material Properties. The issue is when I write in new information in the Material Properties area, it wont save it when I go out & come back in. I cannot seem to over ride the Material Properties.

Long story short: I need to enter new values in Cust. Properties and have them remain there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks,

Rip

SolidWorks 2007
SP 4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the template you mention a sheet format?
Are you doing a Save as > Sheet Format after making the template change?
Is the Custom Property in the part the same as the one being linked to in the drawing (sheet format)?

[cheers]

Hi Blimey,

The custom property is in a part template. It is later referenced by the drawing template. But the occurance of the property sticking is independent of a drawing being in sessions.

Thanks,

Rip

SolidWorks 2007
SP 4.0

Patience is a virtue Ripper! A response will be given when time allows and when someone has an answer to give.

I also have a material set in the part template and have no problem changing materials.

Are the Tools > Options > System Options > Default Templates set correctly?

[cheers]

You will have to create a separate part template for each material if you want it to stay in a template. I prefer to create the new part, then add the material from the material database.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

Part files and drawing files can have properties of the same name. I know of no way to associatively link the two. There are macros out there to copy from one to the other, but they will not be linked. I think the reason why that functionality is not available, is that drawings can reference multiple models, and they have not come up with a clean way of specifying which model the drawing’s properties would be linked to. Notes in a drawing can be linked to properties of a model within a given view because the view references a single model. Hope this helps in what you are trying to do.

Eric

Ripper... see if you have you custom properties defined in the CONFIGURATION SPECIFIC tab of your DEFAULT configuration. Those will override any data you place in the CUSTOM TAB. Been there & done that...

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376

I recently upgraded from SW 2005 to 2007. I am experiencing the same problem as the OP. I read the replies but I'm still confused.

I'm using the same part template from 2005 in 2007. The "material" custom property by default is "SW-Material@Part1.SLDPRT". In 2005, I could overwrite this and type in anything I wanted and it would stick. In 2007, I can type anything and the evaluated value reflects correctly. However, after closing the custom property dialog and returning to it, the material property reverts back to "SW-Material@Part1.SLDPRT".

The only way to overwrite is to add a config specific text to the material property. Is this the expected behavior? Some new "feature"?

Are you by chance attempting to clear it out? In my experience the custom property dialog does not save changes when the new value is the empty string. In that case I end up setting it to a single space.

Eric

EEnd, I tried clearing it out, adding a space, and typing in text. All three methods revert back to "SW-Material@Part1.SLDPRT".

Yes, setting the material in configuration specific properties is the work-around. But material is not usually config specific in my case. Most times I want material to global for all configs.

I created a new part using that template and I was able to use File -> Properties -> Custom to change it to different values including a space. I am using 2007 SP 2.2. As a workaround, have you tried deleting the property and recreating it?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back