Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

[MathCAD 15] Importing AISC Shapes Table and Pulling Properties 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach.farley

Structural
Jul 5, 2022
US
Hi all, I'm a total newbie to MathCAD 15 but I am wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on how to insert an Excel file into MathCAD that would then allow me to define a certain cell in that file and have MathCAD return values from other cells. Basically what I am trying to do is link an excel file that I have that lists tons of different steel shapes and their properties. I want to be able to define a member (like W44X335) and have MathCAD return the properties of that member (such as A, d, or Sx). I have tried to import it as a component but honestly I do not understand the input/output parts, which is probably why I cannot get it to work. I have tried to do more research so as to better understand the input/output functions but none of it seems to be dumbed down enough for me lol. I have attached the Excel file that I am trying to link. Thanks for your assistance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0b25415f-d6c9-449a-88c1-9f016c9fc09e&file=aisc-shapes-database-v15.0h.xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is what I did for the AISC steel properties.
Screenshot_rdsuk1.png

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to replicate your reply in my own file. Do you know if there is a way to automate the properties part tho? So that it would give me the properties immediately after defining a member rather than having to repeat each vlookup command?

You can always hide the vlookup part if you do not want to see it. I am not sure what you mean by automate... you could copy out whole row for the member you are interested in from the "beam table" but you still need a command to define the variables like "Hcol" if you are using them in a calculation. Unless you call out the value using the row and column from the "beam table" but the aesthetics of that would be messy.

Thanks again. I have one last question. All my values for the properties get returned with parenthesis around them. Is there a way to get rid of this? I notice that it does not happen with yours.

I dont think I have seen that but MathCAD has a lot of quirks in it. Can you post a snip and I can try to replicate it on my end? It might be some setting on how the value is being classified. Does it cause any issue if you use the value in a calculation?

It adds parenthesis around any calculation done using those values. IRstuff was correct about the matrix and I found that I could get rid of the parenthesis just by adding [0 to my vlookup formulas. When I first recreated your formulas I left out the subscript 1 (or [1 ) that you had because I couldn't figure out how to place it there and didn't think it mattered, obviously it did matter.
Thanks to both of you for all the assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back