Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mathcad alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachineEngr

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2004
US
Does anybody know of an inexpensive alternative to Mathcad. I am looking for graphical display of very basic calculations that are higher level than a text editor.

I do pages of similar hand calcs (job after job) and want to put the equations into a standardized editor that will allow me to put in angle and square feet, then reshuffle the results via my equations and generate my force results. The most advanced feature I need is a working 'e'.

In the end, I need to print out a tidy sheet of equations and values as I've seen Mathcad output from other engineers.

Seems everything out there costs $1000. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen older versions of Mathcad on ebay from time to time, usually very cheap. It sounds like almost any relatively recent version would work for you, but especially look for V11, which is still in many ways the 'gold standard' of Mathcad, and avoid V12.

Peter

If you're using Word, why not use the Equation Editor that comes with it? It's free and probably already installed on your computer

TTFN

Eng-Tips Policies FAQ731-376

The following link compares CAS "computer algebra systems" software:

Note that some are free and may be useful depending on your needs.

If you find something to be interesting don't forget to search the eng-tips site for comments, I know many of these have been discussed.

I use CalcCenter which is very powerful but probably not the easiest to learn. My biggest complaint is that the output is not very attractive when compared to Mathcad, but then very few CAS programs are. While $595 is not cheap it is much better that the $1200 to $1800 range of Mathcad, Maple, and Mathematica.

Regards,
-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back