Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mathcad error-This value has units:unitless, but must have unit: leght

Status
Not open for further replies.

danodco

Petroleum
Dec 6, 2011
AU
Hi,

Attached is an equation in mathcad which seems to show an error. It is an equation from the DNV-RP-B401 code "Cathodic protection Design" - table 10-7 - Recommended Anode Resistance Formulae. The error is "This value has units: unitless, but must have unit: lenght." I have checked all the constants and they are all defined earlier with their respective units. Could someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't you think it would be more useful to other people to have the actual sheet instead of a picture of the sheet? There are lots of possibilities, and without the actual sheet it's rather pointless.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

If r has units length, then ALI has to have units length also so that the units cancel before taking a logarithm. Trouble with this is, if ALI has units length, then you can't add it to the now unitless (r/2ALI)². I suspect that the equation is an empirical one that requires everything to have the particular units that were used in its development. If so, the solution would be to either not use units and assign the variables with the proper values or to divide everything by the proper units in the equation.

I think you've mis-typed the equation, the ALI before the error should be 1 (unitless) ALI and r should have units of length. You also appear to have added an extra variable at the start of the equation that isn't in my copy of the DNV doc.

In general terms, if ALI has units (which it appears to), then if "r" has units of other than ft^1.5, you can't add the two terms together. MathCad will not let you add ft to 1/ft because it doesn't make sense.

For empirical equations (which this seems to be) I always do something like:

(ALI/ft+(r/ft / ALI/ft)^2)

and then it is just numbers added to numbers, it also lets me put the values in using any units that I want (MathCad has no trouble dividing mm by ft and canceling units).

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back