Mathcad Prime - Simply Supported Beam Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

333OnlyHalfEvil

Structural
Mar 15, 2016
US
Hello everyone:

I'm trying to make a mathcad prime 3.0 spreadsheet that does a standard simply supported beam calculation for me.

Some info on the file to save you time on figuring it out yourself:

Basically, what I'm trying to do is have the user input the loads on the simply supported beam into the matrices. There is a matrix for uniform loads, a matrix for point loads, a matrix for partial uniform loads (i.e. a uniform load that doesn't cover the entire beam), and a matrix for a trapezoidal load (i.e. a partial uniform load that is either increasing or decreasing in magnitude as it goes across the beam from point to point). There is also an L value that represents the total length of the beam which is also input by the user. The user basically puts in the loads into its proper matrix and also the x value where the loads are acting on the beam into the adjacent matrices and then the program is supposed to do the beam calculation for you. Note that the LC matrices are for load combinations but I haven't programmed that functionality yet so they are all set to "D" which causes everything to calculate.

Then I made a V function that takes an input of x and calculates the total shear on that point based on all the loads input by the user into the matrices above. It is basically some for loops that loop through each of the matrices, one at a time, and adds up the total shear at that point based on the inputs and then outputs the total shear. Below that, there is an x value that is one of those range of values, i.e. it starts out at 0, goes in 0.01ft increments, up to the total beam length input by the user above. Then I'm trying to graph the total V at each x (i.e. , the beam shear diagram).

Everything for the most part seems to be working as expected. The only problem I have so far is the trapezoidal loads aren't working! It doesn't seem to be doing anything and I can't figure out why to save my life. The shear chart from 7ft to 8ft is supposed to go down at that point due to the trapezoidal loads but it is straight across. Can someone take a look at this for me and see if you can see what the problem is? Hoping another set of eyes can see whatever I'm apparently missing.

Thanks in advance!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=61511887-da69-4a8d-b7ad-bff4df4d984f&file=Simply_Supported_Beam_Design.mcdx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back