Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mathcad to excel conversion. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml2410

Structural
Aug 31, 2001
US
Is there any way to convert a mathcad document to an excel spreadsheet? I am using excel for the computational engine of an analysis tool because it is much faster than mathcad, however it is much easier to write design calculations into mathcad first and then transfer them into an excel document. The problem is that every time I change something in the mathcad calculations I have to change the same thing in the excel spreadsheets. Is there any way to have some kind of direct conversion or dynamic link?

Thanks,

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt that there is a way of converting it. I'm sure someone out there can tell you how to link a spreadsheet to a mathcad document. What I have done in the past is to develop all my long equations in mathcad, then search and replace the variable names with cell names, then cut and paste the equations into a spreadsheet. Obviously this only works for simple functions. Cheers

Greg Locock

Although you can import and export Excel data files using the File Read/Write and other components, you can use the Excel component to exchange data between Mathcad and Excel and use Excel’s functionality. For example, you may have some values in Mathcad that you want to send to Excel, use Excel for some manipulation, and send values back to Mathcad to continue working.

The Excel component lets you:

Pass data from Mathcad into an Excel file.

Double-click on the Excel component to use functionality from Excel.

Send values from an Excel file into Mathcad.

To insert an Excel component into a Mathcad worksheet:

Make sure Microsoft Excel 7.0 or higher is installed on your system, but not necessarily running.

Click in a blank spot in your worksheet. If you want to send values to the component from a Mathcad variable defined in your worksheet, make sure you click below or to the right of the variable definition.

Choose Component from the Insert menu.

Select Excel from the list and click “Next.” This launches the first part of the Excel Setup Wizard. Fill in the dialog box options and click on the “Next” button. The Wizard will bring you through other dialog boxes whose options you should fill in.

When you finish using the Wizard, you’ll see the Excel component in your worksheet with placeholders for the input variables and output variables. Enter the input variables in the bottom placeholders. Enter the output variables into the placeholders to the left of the :=.

When you click outside the component, input variables are sent to Excel from Mathcad and a range of cells are sent from Excel back to Mathcad and assigned to output variables. Once the output variables are defined, you can manipulate them however you’d like using Mathcad’s built-in functions and operators

For current information on and examples of the OLE automation interface, visit the MathSoft Web site at

Mathsoft had an add-in for Excel that gave you the ability to put a mathcad component right in an Excel cell. I think it was only for Mathcad 2000, but maybe it works for other versions. I got it from the Mathsoft website. It seems to work fine for me, and makes working with complex numbers in Excel very much easier than in the bog standard Excel.

Bung

Mathsoft has an Excel "add-in" available at their website, which can be downloaded for free and installed into Excel. Unfortunately, there are some incompatibility problems with the program if you are using Excel 2002.

Funny, I have the same mathcad module for 2001 and Excel 2002 and have had no problems at all.... But I would be interested in hearing about yours.

With the Excel module add-in, and linking the two documents, I had no problems with the data exchange between the two. I am not an expert Mathcad user (yet [wink]) but have seen no problems.

Thanks for the input regarding the Mathcad add-in for Excel. Meintsi, I am using Mathcad 2000 (not 2001), so perhaps that is where the problem exists. I contacted Jacqui Cheswick at Mathsoft to report the problem and she told me that they were aware of it. I would appreciate, however, any assistance from those who have successfully integrated the two. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back