Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mating Assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott4tg

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
US
Has anyone figured a way to mate a hole from one part to an elongated slot on another part or am I just missing something. Concentric won't work with an elongated slot. I have tried inserting sketches and mating the sketch from one to the other and still no luck.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the info, as far as a 3d sketch I tried that and when I go to mate them it thinks there are the same entity and won't mate. As far as a line and coincident I should have mentioned that the drilled hole is smaller in diamtere than the elongated slot minor diameter for clearnace purposes. I will keep digging.

Scott4tg

That makes sense, now to beat the dead horse a little would you do the same thing to get the the center of the length of the slot, equal distance from the each end of the slot, to the center of the hole?? It seems to me there should be some simple way of doing this such as in the advance mate feature "width" selection or something similar.

Thanks again!

Scott4tg

If you want the hole fixed in one place, then yes create another plane and constrain to it. I assumed you wanted the flexibility of sliding along the slot.

[cheers]

Yes, the hole is fixed and we need to be able to mate another plate coincident to the face and align the second plate with the slot drawn on it to the hole for building the assembly in 3d before we manufacture these parts for real world application. You have been very helpful. Thanks!

Scott4tg

In the sketch you used to create your slot, add a construction line between the radius centers, then add a point at the mid-point of the contruction line.

Then turn on the temporary axes in your model (View > Temporary Axes). Mate the temporary axis of your hole or bolt to the point in your slot sketch.

I do this when I first create the slot. You will get the construction line for free if you use the technigue of the bi-directional with capped ends offset line feature technique to create your slot. You can save the slot as a library feature so the construction geometry will always be in your slot feature every time you add a slot to a model.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP2.2, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back