Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mating brackets to a cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofA2004ME

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2009
US
I am using SW2004. I am trying to mate 4 brackets to the outside edge(curved edge of cylinder). I need to mount the identical brackets at 0,90,180, 270 degrees. I have created the cylinder and the brackets as separate parts and I mating them to make an assembly. I can mate the brackets on the cylinder so they are concentric and the correct distance from the end of the cylinder but I can note get them spaced 90 degrees apart. Is there a function that will constrain the angular position of the brackets on the cylinder.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you can pattern objects, so you may not need to make four models.

OR, you can make surfaces of the brackets perpendicular to each other.

OR, you can make surfaces of the brackets parallel to orthogonal planes of the cylinder.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hopefully you created the bracket (you only need one) symmetrically about its origin and reference planes. If you did you can then use those planes to mate (constrain) to the cylinder, and either a Circular Pattern to create the other three positions, or again use the ref planes to mate to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back