Mating solidbodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

copprfiveo

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2012
US
Long time user, first time poster...

I've imported customer parts from STEP files, and I'm trying to place them into my assembly. If I use any of the imported faces for mates, the next time I open the assembly, all those mates have errors.

Just started for a new company, using SW2012. My previous company used 2010, and can't seem to remember this problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The files have been saved as parts.

The design is to nest these parts on a table. Since there's 100+ part files, I don't really want to do feature recognition. Which leaves just a simple "Imported1" feature in the part tree.

If I use any part of the model for mating, it will error the next time I open the assembly.

What's the lesser of two evils, having errors every time you open up the assembly or running feature recognition? You can have feature recognition only recognize extrudes so that, hopefully, your faces won't keep puking on you and it should speed up the process.

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

[ponder]
You should be able to position the parts without mates then create a single Lock mate to lock them all relative to each other by just selecting the parts. The parts can then be positioned as a group And will move as if mated together.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

copprfiveo,

To state the obvious ... that shouldn't be happening! What error message is given?
Does the problem still occur with STEP files created on your computer?

Can you ZIP & post a small sample assy, or at least a couple of the STEP files to test on other systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back