Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Cutting Depth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FG4608

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2009
US
How can I find out how deep any given tool is actually cutting, for shop documentaion purpouses?

I got the parameters from the tool specification but I also need to know and document the deepest point the tool will reach in each program...

Thanks Beforehand!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You would need to write a custom proc testing the value of mom_pos(2) the Z value.

I have not done much with Shop docs

Most of my Tcl experience has been in Post Builder. Do you have access the BBS the Siemens conferencing site?

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

NX3,4,5,6 Solid Works, Pro/e, Solid Edge

So there is not a way for me to measure specific points on the the displayed toolpath?
I guess I could make an IPW throught the Tool Path Verification and measure on it but that seems like a convoluted process...
As far as the BBS you mentioned I do not know about it. Can you give me directions/information to get on it?

Thank You John for your reply!

I thought you were looking for something with "Shop Docs"

In NX
You can measure from the part to the tool when you have the tool path verification open and using the replay tab.

"As far as the BBS you mentioned I do not know about it. Can you give me directions/information to get on it?"
you will need a web key login which is free for customers that are up-to-date with maintance. There is probably a more up to date link from the Siemens site.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

Thank You Again!

Yes, You are right, utimately I do want it in shop docs but untill I can get that straightened out I needed to at least get the information, even if I have to do it manually so to speak...

I know where to look now! I sure do appreciate it.

When you have the tool path verify dialog open ther are some cool things you can do. You can measure from the tool to other objects. When you are in this dialog the system creates a solid of the tool and adds it as a component so you have a solid body of the tool. You can edit the object display and use the sectioning tool to look inside the model while the tool is replaying. See the attached video.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back