Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Shear Stress of Bolts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

Mechanical
May 17, 2004
US
I need to know what the max shear stress of a 3/8-16 x 1 UNC Grade 2 bolts. I have 8, 4 per side, used to lift 2500 pound machine. Is there a online calculator or a formula to figure this out?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question was "Is there an online calculator or a formula to figure this out. I don't know about an online calculator -- but the formula you are looking for is in the Machinery's Handbook under Working Strehgnth of Bolts -- this will give you your equations needed for thread engagements, tensile loads, and all critical areas of stress.

regards;

rstone

rmw
It was weird to hear you talking about the unmentionable airlines flight from upstate New York. I don't know if it was on the same day, but the exact same thing happened to me after a Schenectady gas turbine training session !

It make a convert out of me. I don't sit near the engines to this day. I won't say the name of the airline, but it was skinny city I was referring to, and the airline bore the name of an indian tribe, or a mountain range in the region. That give any hints?

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back