Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max. Turn down of a centrifual compressor. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro409

Chemical
Mar 22, 2010
IR
How many does the turn down of a centrifugal compressor vary if its fixed speed driver be substituted by the variable speed(VFD, Hydrocoupling,or ...)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually, yes there is.

Find your compressor map and look at the speed lines. Those dictate what your turndown is when using a VFD.

The biggest issue with variable speed machines is the loss of head.

Please think about the question carefully. i know what you said about the advantage of varaiable speed with respect to fixed speed in view of energy saving.
But, my question isnot about a case study or specific compressor, to review its map.
My question is to open a general discussion. As you know turn down is defined as the stability range, the allowable operating range between the design point and the surge line, at any given speed for a fixed compressor head.
Generally, how will flow variation range inlet the compressor be if the variable speed driver be used instead of fixed speed one.? And at this condition, will the turn down remain constant, or may change neglegiblly?
With Respect

yeah, very confusing question . . .

Pro409, review any variable speed centrifugal compressor curve and the link provided by BigInch. you MAY then be able to rephrase the question or have a better understanding of the situation/operation of these machines.

lastly, before changing any fixed speed compressor with a variable speed, i highly recommend you consult with the compressor mfg and review the process conditions. perhaps there are better economical alternatives to achieve the solution . . .

good luck and please take heed in the responses provided . . .
-pmover

The only other thing I can say with the information you've given is that it depends.

It depends on how you presently control your machine; hold your inlet pressure, outlet pressure, flowrate and power draw. Too little actual flow for a particular rpm will stall the blades, too much and it will stonewall or run short of power. Actual flow of course depends on your inlet pressure, power draw, the actual flowrate at inlet conditions and the differential pressure. A typical maximum compression range for such a general question as you pose, typical for many centrifugal compressors is probably about 2.5:1, which doesn't exactly describe a turndown ratio, since turndown implies a range of exact flowrate ratios, which could vary infinitely within the also essentially infinite number of possible inlet and outlet conditions that you might be able to develop at your paraticular installation.

"I am sure it can be done. I've seen it on the internet." BigInch's favorite client.

"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back