Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max velocity slurry residue oil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksmail

Petroleum
May 8, 2021
DE
Hello,
can anyone tell me from personal experience (or maybe a rule of thumb), what the maximum allowable velocity in a pipeline for slurry residue oil (with approx. 2% catalyst) from an fcc plant is?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What sort of viscosity is this stuff?

What temperature?

"Slurry residue oik" is a little vague but sounds not very nice.

Velocity is dependant on length of pipeline.

For this I think you're looking at 1.5 to 2m/sec for long lines and maybe 3 for shorter lines.

Your issue may be what is the min Velocity...[pre][/pre]

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

As usual, I agree with LittleInch ..

Slurry transport piping design and operation is a little tricky.... Usually, what the engineering challenge involves is finding the best velocity required to efficiently transport solids. The minimum transport velocity is usually important.

This min velocity depends on the percentage solids, density, particle size and several other criteria.

Pipe routing is also very important. There are entire books written about slurry piping design and the study of Rheology

Maximum velocity ??... I would guess that you are looking at erosion/corrosion issues ...

Is the transported material hard ground garnet or talcum powder ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thank you for the reply. The temperature is around 200 degrees and the viscosity around 0,8 cP. Indeed, I am concerned about erosion. I think it‘s more like talcum powder.
Thank you!

This might help a little.... If only to outline the issues that should be important to slurry piping design.

It would not be unusual for a system to be fully constructed and then repeatedly changed to "get it to work"

In my opinion, Slurry Pipeline design is more of an art than a science .... and that should be remembered.

Questions usually come up when the maintenance people have to re-route the piping and the system "doesn't work" anymore.

See if you can get your cheap ass boss to help a newbie, spring for a book and begin reading ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

0.8 cP?? That's thinner than water so slurry residue doesn't sound right.

If your concern is erosion then keep it to about 2m/sec max and make the elbows and tees sch 160...

2 m/sec should be enough to keep your talcum powder in suspension.

But MJC is totally correct - slurry transport is a world of its own and very difficult to really design before you start operating it.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back