Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum diameter of circular penetrations through masonry and concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJS1878

Structural
Aug 8, 2023
GB
Hi, is there any guidance or standards on the maximum circular hole size through masonry and concrete structures? I have been asked to confirm if a 200mm core through a masonry cavity wall is okay. Although a 200mm diameter core is okay as this is relatively small, what size of hole would not be okay? I understand there are many factors impacting this but a particular case, masonry cavity wall what would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends on the function of the wall. Is it a shear wall? Load bearing only? Wind bearing? There are too many different cases that giving a blanket "the max hole size is ___" that applies to all cases would be innapropariate.

For masonry walls from a load bearing standpoint arching action could likely take care of any issues with a cavity, but there are different conditions that should be checked to verify this assumption on a case-by-case basis.

Hi, The wall is part of a large industrial building that has a structural steel frame but an external wall consisting of external masonry brickwork, cavity layer filled with insulation and internal facing blockwork.

My assumption that a 200mm circular penetration is okay because of previous work and advice from colleagues, in addition to the arching action and the diameter of the hole is relatively small.

As mentioned though, I am struggling to find guidance on how I can assess the capacity of the wall with the penetration and say for the future I need to assess for a larger penetration, load bearing wall etc.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back