Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maximum input flowrate to pressure vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoga Arviansyah

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2022
ID
Hi, currently I am designing pipeline, piping and pressure vessel system. I want to know maximum limit fluid's velocity input to pressure vessel. Is there any standard/code/book that I can refer to?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that I am aware of.

Plenty of guidelines and Rules of Thumb, but too many variables for any code to proscribe a limit.

Gas?, liquid?, 2 or 3 phase fluid?

So that's three variables before you start on anything else.

It's a very vague question.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Well above 5 m/sec you get high pressure drop and surge pressures, but generally as you enter a PV the velocity reduces by a factor of 10 or more so not sure what your issue is?

Well, thank you for the explanation. The issue is I worry that if fluid's velocity is too fast (when entering Pressure vessel) it could damage the pressure vessel. What I want to find is the rule of thumb or formula to determine the limit of fluid's velocity.

For instance, in API 14E (I think) there is limit (recommendation) fluid's velocity in pipeline which is 3-15 ft/s.

All depends on the internal make up of the PV. Hence why there is no set limit.

Single phase liquid velocity generally dissipates very fast, but gas and two phase fluids can hit parts of the PV if not properly contained.

Your PV engineer or designer will be aware of this.
so there are often divertor plates installed if a jet of liquid hits something within 5D of the incoming nozzle, but if not then it naturally dissipates. But is the PV full of liquid or has a gas phase? A HX will be completely different again.

And API 14E is not relevant here.

Generally you want to not have high (>5m/sec) velocity so sometimes you need to add a reducer just before the nozzle to go from say 8 inch pipe to a 12" nozzle, but not the other way around (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back