Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

maximum piston speed? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtomwcp

Automotive
Apr 17, 2003
US
in my quest for more useful knowledge i am wondering what kind of piston speeds are the limit? i know some of you guys out there deal in F1 and such. i had jotted a number on a small piece of paper an F1 guy told me a few months ago but i have misplaced it and it is important now. i think it was 28m/s or was it f/s? thanks for the help i am really looking for a max this engine will only run for 200 miles then be rebuilt. i am trying to maximize breathing with the best trade off of stroke and rpm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trying again...

Here's some equations for piston kinematics I had worked out some time ago. They might even be correct!

let c = conn rod length
let s = stroke
let r = ½s
let p = "rod ratio" = c/s
let Q = crank angle from TDC
let w = dq/dt = engine speed (radians/time, not rev/time)
let x = piston position from mid-stroke)
let y = du/dt = piston velocity
let z = d²u/dt² = piston acceleration
let a = 2p (twice rod ratio)
let b = (a² - 1 + cos²Q)^½

And first note that for infinitely long conn rod, piston motion approaches sinusoidal, where
max x = r
max y = rw
max z = rw² for constant engine speed (dw/dt = 0)

Actual motion for pistion (finite conn rod length) can then be expressed as ratio to max sinusoidal motion:

x/r = -a + b + cosQ
y/rw = -sinQ[1 + (cosQ)/b]
z/rw² = -(cosQ + [(sin²Q)/b]•[(cosQ)/b - 1])•[(cosQ)/b - 1]

These normalized motion equations approach sinusoidal for larger rod ratios, with max/min values of ±1. The amount that the normalized velocity and acceleration max/min values exceed ±1 represent the amplification due to non-infinite conn rod length. Again, engine acceleration was neglected in deriving normalized acceleration equation.

Note that maximum piston acceleration is amplified over sinusoidal max (aw²) by factor of (1 + 1/a) = (1 + ½/p). Trends pointed out by Norm above can be seen (what's with the Structurals hanging out here?....)

FWIW, I've heard max piston accelerations for near-current F1 engines as being around 10,000g, as mentioned above. Same source reported engine accelerations of 25,000rpm/sec.

Originally posted by ivymike

position = a*cos(o)+sqrt(r^2 - a^2*sin(o)^2)

That's the basic position formula that I used (piston pin offset being taken as an algebraic correction against 'a*sin(o)'). I've been looking for some old derivation notes that may still be around somewhere. But I recall having used the rod angle as well as the crank angle in working the various velocity and acceleration components. Seemed simpler at the time . . .

Have to admit, I hadn't considered the possibility of crankshaft offset.

Norm

Nothegger:

Metal/matrix/composite (MMC) cylinder applications can be found if you do a search in Google. Porsche and I believe, Toyota use this material currently.

I worked in the engineering/testing dept. for a piston manufacturer a few years back that was experimenting with the material as a piston alloy. Machining is a real challenge.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back