Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Post Spacing for Decorative Railing

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmachine88

Structural
Jul 23, 2014
US
I have a decorative rail along a stair case bolted to concrete posts at the top and bottom. The length along the rail between posts is up to 14.7 feet. I am using a 1.25" x 2.5" kick bar to meet AASHTO loading requirements for pedestrian rails. This seems like a heavy bar to use, but the top member is a 6" pipe. Is a 14.7 ft post spacing excessive? Should I place an additional post at mid height along the stairs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mu = 50 plf *14.7^2 * 12 / 8 = 16.21 k-in

Zx = 1.25 * 2.5^2 /4 = 1.95 in^3
M_allow = 36/1.67 * 1.95 = 42 k-in > 16.21 k - in

Looks like you are okay!!!!

But I am confused, is the 6" pipe your handrail or your guardrail? It is too big to be a handrail. I have never used the term "Kick bar" before, but I am assuming that is similar to a toe board?

The 6" pipe is just decorative. I believe the architect called the bottom bar a kick bar. I looked at the loading on the bar in the other direction such that Zx = 2.5*1.25^2/4=0.98 and it still works. I guess I was looking or more of a rule of thumb for maximum post spacings. I can up size the bar to make it work, but then the rail will just look really heavy, and may not be economical.

I know what I think when I or someone else bump a railing etc and it begins to shake very visibly at some bending mode.

1. You have a single load limit (200 lbs sideways at the top of the rail.) AND a second, 50 lbs per foot limit for the rail overall. (Usually, posts are 4 ft apart, so the two are "about" equal.)

So, the 200 lbs requirement looks OK, but 15 ft x 50 lbs/ft = 750 sideways at the top (42 inch high for a guardrail, right?) on the post.

2. Don't confuse a "handrail" grip requirement at +36 (+/-2 inch) measured from the toe of each step on a stair, with the guard rail requirement for height. If the guard rail (only on commercial applications!) is horizontal, I do not see a "grip" requirement coming up for rail diameters.

concur on 'grip' not being part of a handrail requirement.

Toeplate = toeboard = kick plate when it comes to handrails.

One further note; [morons] at OSHA have specified 42" - period. What they did is to codify the old 3½-ft nominal rail height. Americans are now significantly taller than they were in 1901, and 42" is a little too low to be safe for anyone over about 5'-10" tall; their center of gravity is above the top of the OSHA-mandated rail. Most mezz handrails [all?] in malls have their handrails at about 44" to 48" tall. Much safer structure for the slightly above-average person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back