Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Ss and S1 in Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcr07

Structural
Aug 20, 2012
US
I understand that this topic may be more related to Seismology Engineering, but i believe there's more traffic on this forum.

I'm working on a project that will require the knowledge of the maximum Ss and S1 for site class D in Southern California.
Can anyone point me in the right direction in order to find this information?
I understand we can use the tools at USGS to find site specific values, but I'm trying to find the maximum Ss and S1 in So-Cal.
The Occupancy category will be I, II or III and the governing code is the ASCE7-05

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need the maximum? Why not use the one that applies to your site?

Or is this a generic structure that may be located anywhere in the state and you need to design a prototype?

That's correct JAE. I need to design for the maximum since this could be used anywhere in SoCal. (Pole footing for light pole)

You could use the USGS tool and go thru by zip code. It gives you the worst case in each zip. Possibly simplify by looking at the code maps and picking the zip codes in the 'worst' areas.

In past experience- a lot of the seismic design was based on site-specific response spectra, with loading higher than the mapped values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back