Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Working Pressure for PE pipe under given temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanghaigas

Petroleum
Jul 29, 2003
CN
Hi,

I am looking for the experience of PE pipe application in areas with hot climate.

Local designing code at my hand recommends the maximum working pressure of 2bar for MDPE (PE80, SDR11) under temperature range of 20-30C and MOP of 1bar under 30-40C. It is said the code takes the reference of British Gas BGC/PS/PL2. Unfortunately I cannot access to the BG specification right now. Does anyone know whether it is still effective or has been updated now? Given the advancement of PE technology, e.g. from MDPE(PE80) to HDPE(PE100), the code might be too cautious from my view.

IGE/TD/3 editon 3 allows higher pressure limits, but the temperature range is mentioned as 0-20C. I'm informed that ASME B31.8 allows 125psig for HDPE(SDR11) and ISO4437 sets the ceiling of 10bar for HDPE(SDR11) and 8bar for MDPE(SDR11). Then what about the temperature?

In my city, the temperature of the ground, where gas pipe is laid (0.8m deep), can easily reach 26C during the summer. We are planning to use PE pipe for natural gas mains of 4bar system. I don't think the temperature may raise big challenge but I do expect to learn some cases to support our plan.

Grateful you can tell me relating clauses in the code you following or share me with the temperature/pressure/material data in your project.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the USA the temperature limit is 140 deg F (60 deg C)
HDPE is (in the next edition of regulations) be limited to 125psi MDPE still 60psi, although some vendors go up to 75 psi depending on wall thickness.

You are right, PE has come on a lot in the last few years.

What do the manufacturers of the PE material say? Ask your supplier who the manufacturer is and get their technical department to advise what their current material ratings are.

In my experience it is not hugely expensive to get a specific design of pipe run off if you have a decent length to buy.

I know that you can buy 7 barg rated PE (orange colour) in the UK, so I guess with temperature de-rate this would be plenty good enough.

Neil Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back