Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

maximun angle soybeam belt conveyer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ades

Industrial
Nov 13, 2000
We are in pre-design phase of a soybeam transportation system. Can anybody recomend the maximun angle for the belt conveyer? Or where can we find literature refering to this subject.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Soybean?

The maximum angle is vertical if you are using buckets, otherwise it is simply a function of the height of the cleats.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Basic physics. What is the angle of an inclined plane given a block of known weight subject to friction? Figure it out using a textbook example and comparing it to other known problems with solutions.

Then make the inclined plane move at some prescribed velocity and ask the same question.

Sound like a better plan than just asking someone and hoping the reciepe solution is exactly the one you need? You'd get better odds on the craps tables in Vegas! So don't be afraid to do your own work, you may even enjoy it.

Regards,
Cockroach

I suggest contacting a vendor with material handling experience. I live in Canada and have used Martin Sprocket and Gear in the past and thought they were helpful. They also have a good product book that gives sizing information for this sort of product. I'm not in the office now so I cannot confirm that this information is available in the book though.

Thanks to all that gave interesting ideas. I had already contacted and look about in the bulk-online forum: theoretically speaking nobody has a clear idea of it, and there seems to be several opinions about it. In technical literature it appears 14º as maximun, but there are great discussions about this number. I was asking for somebody that could have some experience with this subject. In the meantime some known people are working actually with angles between 12 and 15 with no problem, although they say maximun is 18. As a mater of fact, the angle of repose is bigger, about 22º, because it is in repose without moving, forces between particles when moving are diferent.

I used to work in that industry 46 years ago.
At that time the company guidelines were for chutes and slides, 65* for sugar 55* for powders(Meal,Flour) 35* for granular and beans.
For belt conveyors with no cleats 1/2 of the angle to run a chute so for a 35* chute that would be a 17* conveyor. For superflo conveyors up to 45* or angle of repose. For draglink square conveyors ( Redler type ) any angle up to 90*
Hope this helps.
B.E.

thank you berkshire: your contribution is very good. I suppose that its smooth belts when you say "with no cleats"? (Forgive me English is not my first language)

It means that for a 12º conveyor we would need a 24º degree chute. The angle of the belt conveyor was the same at the entrance?

Ades,
A conveyor with no cleats is a smooth conveyor.
For granular material we would not make chutes less than 35*. At 24* unless you have a vibrator on the chute you still run the risk of bridging and sticking.
B.E.

Berk
I understand, but I could fall directly 90º on the belt, I thought that certain angle was needed so as to let the grain have certain velocity in the same direction of the belt, and favor the transition of the falling grain into the belt conveyor. I have seen belts where grain falling directly 90º into the belt, some grains tend to bounce off.
By the way, do you have or know where to find information regarding, angle and diameter of pipe, regarding velocity, capacity and frictin loss of grain?
Thanks
AdeS

Ades,
If your grain is bouncing off the conveyor from a 90* chute then your shrouding is set too high. bring your chute closer to the belt except on the away side.
I no longer have information on velocity of grain in pipes.
B.E.

In all cases we use pipes with angles 35º or more, but in some cases there is no other way than having smaller angles, and it works fine as long as it comes from another pipe with bigger angle and therefore higher velocities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back