Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MBAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

engresague

Mechanical
May 13, 2014
CL
Hi you all,

I like to know which is the best position to install a Marine Break Away Coupling. The erector recommended to we according to their experience install it at middle hose string but, the MBCA manufacturer indicates in the instruction mannual that it be connected to the Pipeline End Manifold.

What do you think about...?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends which is the worst place to have a long string wandering around full of product / crude, whatever. Too long and it will foul the propellors, but dangling from a subsea bit of hardware might be very difficult to retrieve.

What is this system?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks LittleInch
Is a multi-buoy marine terminal equipped with 6 submersible hoses for hydrocarbons in diameters 6 "; 8"; 10 "and 12". The length of each hose is 96 meters. the deep at location is 20mts (66Ft). The horizontal distance from PLEM to the ship is 30mts. Pressure: GLP 304psi; Fuel Oil(two hoses),Diesel & Gasoline 124psi.

Mid hose sounds good to me with those distances, but I really don't think there's much in it. MBAC are really your last resort if it all goes seriously pear shaped and are never 100% reliable to be the weak link or for them to work as you think. IMHO, there's too much to go wrong, including part release, torsion and snagging of the hoses, corrosion, jamming or failure of something else that isn't supposed to break.

I guess that's why the vendor does it low down - the subsea item is strong and will cause a big force to allow higher confidence or breakaway as opposed to possible other failures before the MBAC elsewhere.

No one will give you grief for following the vendor recommendation, but you do need to think this through all the way. If your vessel ended up dragging a hose with it of whatever length, would it be at risk of fouling the props? What's the least worse option??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back