Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCAW Qualifies for GMAW or FCAW? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyoungs

Industrial
Sep 30, 2010
CA
Under AWS D1.1. If you are qualified to MCAW, does that also quailfy you for GMAW or FCAW? I'm unable to find this under Part C for Performance Qualifications.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MCAW = Metal Cored Arc Welding? D1.1 considers that to be a subcase of GMAW.

Who knows if that will change when they come out with the new cored electrode A5 spec.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Yes that's correct. MCAW = Metal Cored Arc Welding. The F No's are the same 5.18 for MCAW and GMAW. Do you know where exactly it says that it's a subcase of GMAW in AWS D1.1. Thanks, Chuck.

Based on what I've heard, the next edition of A5.20 will include the metal cored electrodes. That being the case, metal cored electrodes will be considered to be FCAW.

As of now, metal cored electrodes are included in A5.18, so it is considered to be GMAW.

Best regards - Al

FCAW-S is self-shielded flux cored arc welding. The flux components produce enough shielding gas that a secondary shielding gas is not used.

Best regards - Al

The way I heard it, metal-cored and flux-cored electrodes will both be in the new A5 cored wire spec, but metal cored will be GMAW and flux-cored will be FCAW. I don't believe they're going back to calling metal-cored electrodes FCAW--they only just changed that, what, 10-15 years ago?

Either way, it'll make a mess of the tables in the welding codes till everyone catches up.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back