Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MCC room construtability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechconst

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2002
US
I'm looking at installing 3 stand alone MCC panels in an existing small room at a process plant. They measure 2.5 feet wide and vary between 16 to 24 feet long: controls for about 30 motors with 3 VFD's. Access is only through a doorway. My questions are: 1) are the units normally shipped in one piece 2)can these units be shipped in smaller sections and assembled in place? Is this practical or too labor intensive? 2) consider an alternate route by cutting a hole in the roof?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each of the MCC panels will be made up of a number of 'Tiers', each tier is about 750mm (or 2'6") wide and these are all bolted together to form the full unit.
This can be done on site and is no problem.
The roof is safe!
(I presume you are in the USA by your use of imperial measurements, you only mention one doorway, in the UK we need an escape door also so that there are different escape routes, does your room have one? I don't know the USA rules but you will probably need one).

Most manufacturers in the USA ship MCC's in about 3 vertical sections which will need to be bolted together at the site. Also, when the busbars are bolted together, make sure the team uses the proper torque values.

Suggestion to the original posting: Please, would you post more info regarding sizes/ratings of the motors and VFDs. Some VFDs can have larger footprints. Also, MCC dimensions may vary from the manufacturer to manufacturer. The Square D tends to manufacture the largest equipment housing dimensions.

Cutler-Hammer has a standard structure of 20" wide by 16" deep. More info about sizes and ratings would help. Cutler has a Size 1 starter that only uses 6" of vertical space. you could fit 12 starters in one structure.

mechconst,
Also assuming that you are in the US or Canada.

I for one am confused. "They measure 2.5 feet wide and vary between 16 to 24 feet long: ..." Are these dimensions for the MCCs or for the room?

If for the room you may not be able to utilize those spaces to house electrical equipment at all. Code will require a minimum of 36" clear space IN FRONT of the equipment to the nearest wall or structure. The shallowest MCC I know of is 14" deep (Furnas / Siemens).

If those dimensions are for the MCCs, why are you asking since it sounds as if they are already built? If so, can't the manufacturer tell you if they can be split up?

Just a thought to help you avoid unnecessary trouble.

Subvert the dominant paradigm... Think first, then act!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back