Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MD NASTRAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshah1

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2006
US
Hi,
If you have had the chance to explore MSC Software's MD Nastran, please share your experience with the software.

1. Is there much of a difference in performance between MD and the stand alone version of Nastran in the look and feel of the program?
2. While we are looking to update, do you think that another package is worth taking the time to learn (NEI, NX, along with a mix of FEA products)?

Thank you very much,
SS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We just purchased our 3rd license of NEi Nastran and I highly recommend it. MD Nastran is just MSC Nastran with some new packaging. It is also very expensive and you will end up with a lot of features you do not need. You can probably get NEi Nastran for less than your MSC maintenance. NX Nastran is very close to the MSC 2001 release. They do not have a native advanced nonlinear solution but you can get Adina as an add-on. I am not sure how well they are integrated.

Hansm2 is correct, MD Nastran is the latest release from MSC Software. MD Nastran includes the updated Patran interface I believe. If cost is an issue NE/Nastran is an excellent choice, but also consider your production needs for FE analysis, your requirements for nonlinear, contact, dynamics etc. Having that capability in a robust code may save money in the long run.

Jxc

You can't compare NEI with MD.
MD includes NASTRAN, MARC and DYTRAN all in one interface.
Sure nei has nonlinear capabilities, but it's not the same as those in MARC. As well, nothing can beat dytran ls-dyna in high velocity, super deformation analysis.

I have done some amazing things with NE Nastran non-linear. You can also check out their site for some very interesting animations that are on par with dyna and marc. I do agree with the LS-dyna comment. The NE Nastran non-linear capabilities are still very good especially surface contact and the interface through the editor. NE Nastran is not always a fit for every application so I would advise checking it out and seeing if it meets your requirements. MD is very expensive so you may be wasting your money if you do not need all that it has.

I concur about things already said about NEi - a lot of users claim it's cost effective and has got above average support. So, I ordered a demo and was quite surprised to discover that at this stage it does not offer a hyperelastic material model...(not to speak about viscoelastic) So, as the other posters already said - check out the capabilities. Depends what you need.

exactly.

MD nastran offers the most complete package available today, with a unified interface and input file.
It lacks only CFD capabilities, and I really like the ANSYS ICEM-CFD program, but MD has the overall solution.

downside - it's VERY expensive, so hardly anyone needs it :)

Hyperelastic materials are in the version 9.1 release. I know because I have the beta. Ask noran support for V9.1. I think the demo CD is not the most recent version. Not sure.

I deal in software, so take this with a grain of salt, but for explicit solving, AMPS (amps.borowskiengineering.com or comes at a price that is unbelievable. It also has implicit solving capabilities and some other features that are exceptional.

I like NEiNastran and Algor, although I haven't used NE in a while.

For some basic analysis capabilities (linear static) with pretty powerful pre- and post- processing at a very reasonable price tag and the ability to interface with a variety of higher end software, look at Roshaz (roshaz.borowskiengineering.com or
Please forgive the shameless self-promotion and feel free to use the other links which I do not control.

Garland

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back