Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDX Batch Processing List of Inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRy

Structural
Jul 9, 2010
US
This post might be better suited in a bridge-specific forum, but it is software related.

I'm working on an LRFR bridge load rating for DelDOT for a newly constructed curved girder bridge. DelDOT bridge design manual requires rating new bridges for a fairly long list of trucks, and the permit trucks must also each be analyzed for various combinations of lane loading, impact, and # trips.

I setup a batch file that runs 22 truck load cases, and it processed without any issues. The problem I'm having is with the 20 additional load cases for permit trucks. I'm having to add additional commands for impact, lane loading, and load factor. Some GS-level commands, such as PBLANE for lane loading on permit ratings, work perfectly fine when used in the LOADCASE.IN file for batch processing. But other GS-level commands, those dealing with permit loading in particular, either do not work at all or only sometimes work when used in batch processing. Though I've only tested a couple, it also appears that no Girder/Bracing-level commands, like PBFACT (load factor from MBE), work in batch processing.

This is a problem due to the sheer volume of data i need to process. This is a 9-girder system that takes 7-8min to process each individual run in MDX. Without the load rating summary file (LOADCASE.OUT) that is produced during batch processing, i need to scroll through all 9 R.OUT files to determine the controlling member and rating for a given run. And with 42 total runs, that's a LOT of work. Not to mention, the analysis is consuming much of my time on this task.

I've already reviewed the MDX help, and it provides almost no guidance on this. In fact, if I remember correctly, their example batch file doesn't even work as coded.

Is anyone aware of a list of allowable inputs for the LOADCASE.IN file, so i do not waste days or weeks troubleshooting this? Can anyone confirm or deny that Girder/Bracing-level inputs can be used in batch processing? Is there a specific format/order needed to get these batch inputs to work?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back