Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measure diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkcone

Automotive
Mar 31, 2009
US
Hello all
I'm trying to find a measure diameter command while in modeling NX5. When i use the "Measure Distance" command & select the pull-down all I see is the "Radius" choice.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's what's wrong, I was multiplying it by pie...in my head, but it kept coming out blueberry...I knew that was wrong, I'm no dummy you know.

Seriously, I knew about the Information -> object but was looking for something more streamlined like the measure Radius function.

Thanks anyway,
James

OK, now when you say 'Measure a Diameter' are you referring to the...

Analysis -> Measure <type>...

...functions where 'Measure Features' ore created with their corresponding Expressions, or are you just talking about being able to select some object and get some information back concerning it's size just for verification/inquiry purposes but not anything that the system needs to remember?

If it's the latter, just looking for the size info, if you're talking about a circular edge, if you use...

Information -> Object...

...and you select a circular edge/curve, you will get a listing of the relevant parametric values including both Radius AND Diameter, as well as a bunch of other stuff which may or may not be of value, but at least you got it all. Now this is just a listing and nothing is saved or linked to the model, it just a simple inquiry type of function.

Now if instead your desire is to get a smart 'measure' Expression which will update as the model changes, then, as you've already discovered, you will only be able to get the Radius directly. Of course, since this does create an Expression, if Diameter was the real need, just create another Expression which equals the 'measure' Expression multiplied by 2.

Note that there is a reason that we only provide a Measure Radius function and that's because it's more versatile since if we included BOTH a Radius and Diameter Measure function what would you expect to get if the face/edge selected was not a complete cylinder/circle (ie, less than 360°), such as the face of a Blended edge? While we could still internally compute the calculated Diameter it could be seen as misleading whereas the Radius of that face/edge would still be perfectly valid and not open to misinterpretation, and of course, once the 'measure' Expression was created, you can use however you like including calculating the Diameter would have been if it HAD been a complete cylindrical face/circular edge/curve. It also keeps the menu options to a minimum and in the end does not prevent the user from getting the values that he wishes.

Besides, it's also in keeping with the First Rule of User Interface Design: You can NOT make something simpler by ADDING to it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I still wish there was a choice under the Measure Distance pull down for diameter. I'd add it to my custom menu bar & use it a LOT.

Thanks for the input.
James

measure distance will return the diameter if you use snap coordinate points on the edges of the circle.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back