Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

measure temperature on a Heat Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADone

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2007
Hi,

I have few LEDs (Heat source) on a the base of a Heatsink. While the LEDs are turned ON, I need to simulate the Heat on the heatsink. The various temperatures on the various areas of the Heatsink.

1. Which is the addin I need to use for this?
2. Please suggest a bit on how to interpret the results & Corrective actions?

Thx
C1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Cosmos (Simulation) can do this assuming you have above the free CosmosWorks. Any FEA package that can perform thermal analysis could also be used. (some free)
2. One of the first tutorials for the software probably has a similar analysis.

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Rob,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that there was another addin called Floworks. When I read the synopsis of this addin, it appeared to me that it could me more appropriate to my application than the simulation addin.

Basically, I my application I have electrical fixture. The lamp is a source of heat ( & Light :) ). The heat from the lamp has to be transfered to atomosphere via heatsink. DUring design Its important to measure various temp zones through out the assly.

Thx
C1

Unless you are trying to model flow paths of wind current I believe that computational fluid dynamics (CFD) would be overkill. But it really depends on the complexity of your system and the cost of failure. If this is to design a heat sink for every Dell made then it's probably worth it but if it is to do this then hand calcs and possibly some FEA are in order. I hope this helps.

Rob

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back